Is there a specific ADHD test? To begin with, there is no specific blood test, x-ray or brain scan that can confirm an ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) diagnosis.
However, there are other options that can point to the presence of an ADHD condition.
ADHD test in Toronto or anywhere else is done the same way. The diagnosis of ADHD is, in the medical domain, based on the psychiatric criteria as outlined in the DSM V manual (published by the American Psychiatric Association). Only if certain criteria have been met, a medical professional can substantiate an ADHD diagnosis.
If an ADHD diagnosis has been confirmed, this ADHD test like (based on subjective report of symptoms) will determine the appropriate category. There are three categories possible.
Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type: when predominately hyperactivity-impulsivity symptoms are present for at least 6 months.
Predominantly Inattentive Type: when predominately inattention symptoms are present for at least 6 months. Previously referred to as ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder)
Combined Type: if symptoms of both previous categories are present for at least 6 months.
While an ADHD test can point to the presence of an ADHD condition, it is also important to identify other co-existing conditions. A high percentage of children (and adults) with ADHD may experience a learning disability, speech impairment, anxiety, depression, anger management issues, ODD (oppositional defiant disorder, CD (conduct disorder, and OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder).
While an ADHD test cannot identify the effects of ADHD on an individual’s life, a clinical interview can. Such challenges can include, among other things, social difficulties, poor academic performance, drug or alcohol abuse, marital or relationship problems and poor work performance.
While an ADHD test can establish an ADHD diagnosis, it does not lead to a direct, specific treatment.
Offering one of the most advanced ADHD test in Toronto, we at the ACEclinics we don’t focus as much on the “ label” (ADD, ADHD, LD, OCD, ASD, APD, SPD), but on the actual deficiencies related to the condition. We have developed a comprehensive assessment that includes a specialized EEG combined with neuro-cognitive testing to identify focus, concentration, attention, memory and learning-related difficulties. Our unique 6-step process will identify major weak cognitive areas which will lead to recommendations for improvement.
The 6 steps assessment includes the following:
- Completing the intake forms. These forms will tell us more about you and your (or your child’s) condition.
- A clinical interview where we get to learn about your specific problems and their effect on your life. When a child is assessed, the parents will be part of the interview, and will also be able to observe the entire assessment process, since it is a very educational process.
3. A specialized EEG assessment. This is a highly specialized (and 100% safe) test that will indicate difficulties with attention, concentration and processing .
4. A fully computerized neuro-cognitive assessment. This is where we further test concentration skills such as visual processing, auditory processing (listening), divided attention, speed of processing, inhibition control as well as memory and information processing, in general.
5. This is an important step in the assessment process where we can determine how trainable your (or your child’s) brain is, based on advanced neuroplasticity principles. This will enable us to determine the best treatment approach for you (or for your child) in order to overcome the presenting difficulties.
6. Summary and recommendations. You will receive a full verbal report that also includes all the necessary information needed to make a decision about your (or your child’s) future course of treatment. At this point, all your questions will also be answered.
For those in need, and who are suitable for our training program, this ADHD test will lead to one of the most effective treatments in existence. Our clients report dramatic improvement of attention, concentration, memory and information processing, and reduction in symptoms associated with attention deficit (hyperactivity) disorder (ADD, ADHD), learning disabilities (LD such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia), memory disorders, auditory process disorders (CAP), sensory motor disorder (SPD) Asperger’s syndrome, autism (high functioning) and more.
Want to know how severe your (or your child’s) symptoms are? This online ADHD test quiz will allow you to get more insight, click here.
For more information about our ADHD test in Toronto as well as effective treatment of ADHD, LD and other related conditions, without medication or any remedies click here. The best way to address the problem is to tackle it at the core, the core is neurological in nature.
Not just an ADHD test, but a complete ADHD, LD (and other related conditions) assessment is available in Toronto. To book an appointment for a complete assessment as described before, click here.